Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Selling Art Books - THE SOLITUDE OF RAVENS MASAHISA FUKASE

In recent years I have had more luck selling ART books on ebay. These are books about artists  compilations or exhibition guides to their work or books about collections of art. It is really hard to relay what to look for but I have moved more towards more modern artists, photographers etc. I also look for things which look interesting and have a following but aren't overloaded with supply of them on Ebay. Cost of books is generally from FREE to about 2 dollars. I rarely go over this level. One of the most interesting books I have found is the Solitude of Ravens by Masahisa Fukase. He was a Japanese photographer who slipped into a coma after creating this amazingly dark book of photos that somehow just grabs you from the minute you open it. This work is extremely rare. Copies on the popular booksite Abebooks for for 500-900 dollars. There is on on ebay for $1200 or so, but one recently sold at 399.00. I priced mine at $349 and it is accumulating watchers. I usually don't price things this high but I am the lowest copy out there and I can always reduce it later. It is a great book and I feel confident it will get exposure at that price! Here is the link to my listing but also some pictures below .. http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-SOLITUDE-OF-RAVENS-MASAHISA-FUKASE-FIRST-US-EDITION-BEDFORD-ARTS-/371202627429?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
 
 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a copy I bought in the 90s. It is the 1991 Edition. I was stupid, though, and wrote my name in the book. Do you have any idea how that devalues it? It is in very fine shape, otherwise. Thanks!

Marty said...

Hi Maureen and thank you for your comment. I am sorry I just saw it tonight LOL. Usually a name written on the inside cover wont devalue a book too much as long as it is in good condition otherwise. This is a great book. Like many books I sell sometimes you want to keep it :)