Monday, April 23, 2007

Taking a look at Stumbleupon.com to help market your store

Recent news reports have eBay in talks to aquire Stumbleupon.com. I read the news release and checked out the site which was very interesting. I first noticed this site when reviewing my traffic reports (these are reports ebay store owners can view to show how traffic (customers) come into the store and from what sources). I determined that a seller friend has given a thumbs up to my store and that was leading a handful of people over .

As I checked out the site I realized it had real potential as a review site for pages we are trying to promote in this Ebay effort. I highly recommend checking out the site located at http://stumbleupon.com and signing up.

Basically this site gets an idea of what you like based on which sites you rate and then feeds you more of the same when you click the "stumble" button.

I believe what eBay might be getting at with a possible aquisition here is a socially rated web search for products but that is just speculation at this point.

I feel there is an advantage to signing up and at least rating your own content sites and then moving your way through some random sites to build up a knowledge of how this tool works.

Lately it seems eBay is moving in the right direction with their efforts and I like this site.
If you happen to check it out and sign up, please comment to this blog and list your site and we can exchange ratings if you like! -Marty

1 comment:

Randy Smythe said...

Marty, Stumble Upon is also great for rating Lenses at Squidoo. As for eBay Stores, one of my friends rated his store on Stumble Upon and it is now the number 8 referer to his store and moving up.

The key is to get store owners to rate their stores under the same category - "shopping" and then use the power of the stores board to have everyone rate their stores as well, similar to what you accomplished with Squidoo. BTW Stumbling onto a lens improves Squid Rank - See my Stumble lens

The more thumbs up ratings the more frequently their storefront will show up. I would suggest possibly a deal for stumbers that you could put in a promo box as well to catch their eye before they Stumbled away.

Just some ideas.
Randy